Game Master: You hear a tapping that disturbs you from your napping, a gentle rapping at your chamber door.
Player: I do not open up the chamber door. I return to my book of forgotten lore. Only this, and nothing more.
Game Master: Make another saving throw.
Player: Ha! Natural “20.” My character shall not gaze upon anything from the Night’s Plutonian shore.
Gamer Master: Uh… it’s not high enough.
Player (Sigh): Fine… I swing open wide the door. This adventure is a railroad and nothing more!
Game Master: The bust of Pallas laughs at you.
What does the darkness want? [Roll 1d10]
1. A yang for its yin.
2. For you to come talk with it again.
3. You do not gaze into true darkness, but a mirror reflecting your image.
4. To discuss the philosophies of Nietzsche.
5. For you to go up a river and find the man who claims to be a god.
6. For you to shut… that… door. (You’re letting out too much light).
7. It whispers: “Lenore!”
8. The darkness attacks. Go ahead, cast Magic Missile.
9. Your life energy.
10. Nothing… it’s a massive Sphere of Annihilation.
You can find the original source on Project Guttenberg.