The Art of Wargaming: Sun Tzu’s Teachings for the Modern Tabletop Wargaming is an ongoing series, published every Tuesday and Thursday. We discuss tactics, strategy, examine what it means to be a wargamer, and use examples from history and practical experience to help you become a better wargamer.
While you can easily find these posts under the category and search features, here they are below in their proper order.
Chapter I: Laying Plans
- Wargaming: A Matter of Life and Death?
- Do You Know the 5 Factors of War(gaming)?
- Wise Wargamers Ask These 7 Questions
- 3 Ways to Escape from Wargaming Hell
- 5 Ways to Use Deception in Wargaming for Fun and Excitement
- 6 Ways a Player Can Exploit Your Emotions
- Wargaming: The Two Hobbies
Chapter II: Waging War
- 7 Reasons to Become (or Remain) a Tabletop Wargamer
- How to Get a Quick Start in Tabletop Wargaming
- The Tale of the Newbie Wargamer’s Folly
- How to Forage on Your Enemies (and Friends)
- Wargaming and Your Significant Other
- Do You Know Wargaming’s 7 Hidden Costs?
- That Which Does Not Kill Us
Chapter III: Attack By Stratagem
- Where Real Morale Failures Lie
- Sieges: A Rant
- How and Why Your Reputation as a Wargamer is Paramount for Victory (and Enjoyment)
- Do You Know How to Pick Your Battles?
- Know Thyself
Chapter IV: Tactical Dispositions
- How to Go Beyond the Possibility of Defeat
- How to Fight Like George Washington
- Why You Should Disdain Easy Victories
- Why Deployment is Half the Battle
- The Biggest Mistake You Can Commit in Wargaming
- Seven Diceless Strategies for Victory
Chapter V: Energy
- How to Pick and Build an Effective Army
- Do You Know the Weak Point of a Tank?
- How to Fight Like a Barbarian in Wargaming
- How to Cheat without Breaking the Rules
- How to Fight Like Edward: The Black Prince
- How to be Decisive like Mark Antony
- How The Bearded Bastard Crushed his Opponents
- Taoism and The Art of War
- How to Use Combined Arms Like Gustavus Adolphus
Chapter VI: Weak Points and Strong
- Get There First
- Cannon Fodder Joe
- Five Ways to Fight Like Napoleon
- Me and My Big Mouth
- How to Attack a Redoubt
- Divide and Conquer
- Playing to Win vs. Playing to Avoid Losing
- How to Fight Like General Robert E. Lee
- How The Bearded Bastard Crushed His Opponents, Part 2
- The Cycle of Warhammer Fantasy Battles
- The Hill: I Used to Think, Now I Think
- The Season of The Bearded Bastard
Chapter VII: Maneuvering
- Make the Commitment
- Wisdom Beyond the Rulebook
- Lessons from Peter the Hermit
- The Logistics of Tactics, and the Tactics of Logistics
- When Bad Players Happen to Good Wargames
- How The Bearded Bastard Crushed His Opponents [Part 3]
- Always Have Someone Watch Your Back
- How The Bearded Bastard Crushed His Opponents [Part 4]
- The Turning Point: Where The Bearded Bastard Went Wrong
- The More You Speak, The Less People Listen
- And Now For Something Completely Different: Blood Sugar
- Knowing When To Halt Your Attack
Chapter VIII: Variation in Tactics
- When do You Make Other Plans?
- Watching and Waiting, Part 1
- Watching and Waiting, Part 2
- The Sixth Dangerous Fault
Chapter IX: The Army on the March
- The Best Place to Run a Wargame
- Is There a River on The Tabletop? Ask these 7 Questions
- The Sinister Secrets of Saltmarshes
- Healthy Wargaming: Taking the High Ground
- Is the Battlefield an Obstacle Course?
- Is the Objective Really Bait?
- How to Spot an Ambush on the Tabletop
- The 15 Minute Break
- Wargamers Are Like Feudal Princes
- How to Protest a Rigged Scenario
- The Tale of Blowhard Von Blowhard
- Leadership 101
Chapter X: Terrain
- Mastering the Terrain at the Tabletop
- When the Art of Wargaming Makes the Game Boring?
- The Six Calamities of Blowhard Von Blowhard
- The Six Calamities of Blowhard Von Blowhard, Part 2
- The Jewel of the Kingdom
- Naming Your Armies and Commanders
- The Defeat of The Bearded Bastard
Chapter XI: The Nine Situations
- The Nine Situations
- The Nine Situations, Part 2
- The Nine Situations, Part 3
- How to Master a New Set of Rules
- Fight with the Sun at Your Back
- Fight Every Week
- Fight at Death’s Door
- Fight Without Fear
- Fight Like the Shuai-Jan
- Fight Like the Bearded Bastard
- Do You Suffer from New Army Syndrome (NAS)?
- Dealing With Non-Wargamers
- Dealing With Non-Wargamers, Part 2
- What was Your First Wargame?
- My First Game with The Bearded Bastard
- My Last Game with The Bearded Bastard
- Wargaming: Life. Death. And all that.